PA 5053 is also offered in Fall 2023
PA 5053 is also offered in Fall 2022
PA 5053 is also offered in Fall 2021
PA 5053 is also offered in Fall 2020
Fall 2023 | PA 5053 Section 001: Policy Analysis in Public Affairs (23319)
- Class Component:
- 2 Credits
- Grading Basis:
- A-F only
- Instructor Consent:
- No Special Consent Required
- Instruction Mode:
- In Person
- Enrollment Requirements:
- Stdnt is in MPA/PAL Cohort Mod
- Times and Locations:
- Enrollment Status:
Open (1 of 42 seats filled)
- Also Offered:
- Course Catalog Description:
- Process of public policy and program analysis, including problem formulation, program design, and implementation. Opportunity to draw upon published research and conduct field-based research to understand implementation conditions. Professional communications, including writing of memos, requests for proposals, and implementation briefs, are stressed. Prereq: Master in Public Affairs student (cohort program) or public affairs leadership certificate student (cohort program). 5053-5054 must be taken in same academic yr
- Class Notes:
- Students should register for PA 5051, 5053, and 5055. Class meets 8:30-4:30 on Aug 24-26 (Thu, Fri, Sat). And on Sep 15-16/Oct 13-14/Nov 10-11, and Dec 1 (Fridays, 10:00-5:00 and Saturdays, 8:30-4:30.) http://classinfo.umn.edu/?keel0041+PA5053+Fall2023
- Class Description:
This is one of the required classes integrated into the year-long cohort for the Master of Public Affairs (MPA) and Public Affairs Leadership Certificate programs.
The Public Affairs Leadership Cohort is a unique offering at the Humphrey School. The Cohort is designed for mid-career professionals and integrates adult learning methodologies in a schedule that accommodates working adults. Three core (required) courses are offered in an integrated format and students can either apply the cohort experience to a University of Minnesota Regent's approved graduate certificate in Public Affairs Leadership (PAL) or towards the Master of Public Affairs (MPA) degree. The three courses integrated into the MPA cohort are: 1) Public Affairs Leadership 2) Policy and Program Analysis , and 3) Research Methods & Analysis.
The cohort program focuses on developing a range of skills essential in public affairs through an intensive learning community. A theoretical framework emphasizing transformational leadership guides us and creates awareness that leadership is demonstrated through acts undertaken by many people, not just by those in formal authority positions. Leaders must have analytical skills to address both technical and adaptive challenges and the content of these courses highlights those most critical to public policy and public affairs.
- Who Should Take This Class?:
- Only those who are admitted into the MPA or Public Affairs Leadership (PAL) certificate programs are eligible to register for this class.
- Learning Objectives:
Expand personal leadership capacity by strengthening a sense of personal purpose, voice, agency, and experience in leading a group and communicating publicly about professional work.
Strengthen capacity for adaptive problem solving through reflective analysis of complex organizations, community conditions, programs, and policy networks.
- Class Format:
- The Cohort meets for an orientation in early August, a 3-day "foundations week" at the end of August and two days each month (Friday and Saturday) from September - May.
- Instructor Supplied Information Last Updated:
- 28 April 2022
ClassInfo Links - Fall 2023 Public Affairs Classes Taught by Bonnie Keeler